So..You finally got a spray tan and you love it! Or maybe you have been getting them but they don’t last very long or fade poorly (You know, when your skin looks like a lizard…not very attractive!) But either way you want to take care of it so it lasts!
Problems most likely arise from not knowing the best tips to take care of your tan. Many salons don’t tell you this information (Hey, quicker fade= quicker rebooking) But don’t fear tanners! I am here to tell you the best ways to prolong your beautiful tan and help it fade as natural as possible so you can get your moneys worth.
Now I know we all lead busy lifestyles and the last thing you want to think about when you are tired is to take care of your tan. But trust me, it is worth it. I have had plenty of nights with a little bubbly and just wanted to get under the covers..but I sucked it up and did my aftercare. And my beautiful tan lasted for a long time.
1) First thing is to moisturize. I am amazed at how many of my clients tell me that they skipped this step as they were afraid to use it! Moisturizer is your BFF when you have an airbrush tan. The tan is on the outer layer of your skin & proper hydration will prolong the exfoliation process. You MUST moisturize at least 2x a day. I recommend in the morning and the evening & use a lotion that does not have drying alcohols. I recommend using products specially formulated for spray tanning. They do not contain drying alcohols and have ingredients that will nourish your tan. Use a tan extender as well. This will add the DHA back into your skin causing it to last longer, But don’t overload as too much on some skin tones can give you an unnatural tone.
2) Avoid hot baths and hot showers & bar soaps. Those are the worst for the tan. Use a gentle shower gel
3) After your tan wait at least 24 hours to shave as shaving can cause fading. Try to shave only as needed & use a sharp new razor. I also recommend conditioner instead of shaving cream.
4) Exfoliating or using any harsh salt scrub within 8-10 days of getting spray tan is a big no no!. So no loofahs or washcloths!
5) Bug spray can cause your tan to fade
6) When getting out of the shower BLOT your skin with a towel. Pat dry and DO NOT RUB!
7) Anti aging products that exfoliate or dry the skin, Accutane and Salicylic acids can cause issues. Antibiotics and other medications that affect your skin can also affect your tan.
8) Avoid toners containing alcohols or Witch Hazel in higher amounts.Look where they are listed in the ingredient list, if in the top 3 do not use.
9) Avoid dove soap, wax or Depilatory hair removal products ( Nair, Veet, etc)
10) Avoid any waxing, massages or any spa services ( no pedicures, just polish changes)
11) Avoid any baby oil, mineral oil or massage oil